Search This Blog

BN-LA-143-F

Marlena Shaw - From  The Depths Of My Soul

Released - September 1973

Recording and Session Information

A&R Studios, NYC, May 30 & June 6, 1973
Eugene Bianco, harp; Derek Smith, piano, electric piano, clavichord; Gene Bertoncini, Cornell Dupree, Carl Lynch, Hugh McCracken, guitar; Ron Carter, bass; Wilbur Bascomb Jr., electric bass; Charles Collins, Herbie Lovelle, Grady Tate, drums; Arthur Jenkins, congas; George Devens, George Jenkins, percussion; Marlena Shaw, vocals; unidentified horns and strings, Wade Marcus, arranger, conductor.

12678-10 Easy Evil
12679-7 The Laughter And The Tears
12680-8 The Feeling's Good
12682-7 I Just Don't Want To Be Lonely
12683-10 Waterfall
12685-6 Time For Me To Go

A&R Studios, NYC, May 31 & June 6, 1973
Eugene Bianco, harp; Derek Smith, piano, electric piano, clavichord; Gene Bertoncini, Cornell Dupree, Carl Lynch, Hugh McCracken, guitar; Ron Carter, bass; Wilbur Bascomb Jr., electric bass; Charles Collins, Herbie Lovelle, Grady Tate, drums; Arthur Jenkins, congas; George Devens, George Jenkins, percussion; Marlena Shaw, vocals; unidentified horns and strings, Wade Marcus, arranger, conductor.

(tk.12) Prelude
12675-8 I Know I Love Him
12676-7 Hum This Song
12677-1 But For Now
12681-10 Wildflower
12684-5 Say A Good Word

Track Listing

Side One
TitleAuthorRecording Date
Prelude / I Know I Love HimBodie Chandler, Wade MarcusMay 31 1973
Hum This SongCarl DavisMay 31 1973
But For NowBob DoroughMay 31 1973
Easy EvilAlan O'DayMay 30 1973
The Laughter and the TearsRandy EdelmanMay 30 1973
The Feeling's GoodCharles Fox, Norman GimbelMay 30 1973
Side Two
WildflowerDavid Richardson, Doug EdwardsMay 31 1973
Just Don't Want To Be LonelyBobby Eli, John C. Freeman, Jr., Vinnie BarrettMay 30 1973
WaterfallRandy EdelmanMay 30 1973
Say a Good WordMarlena ShawMay 31 1973
Time For Me To GoCharles Fox, Norman GimbelMay 30 1973

Liner Notes

A tear could be defined as sadness, joy or even complete submission, and after waltzing through this magnificent array of songs I found myself going from one extreme to another.

Now take for instance, PRELUDE - I KNOW I LOVE HIM, after about midway through this track, I felt a tear sliding down my cheek for I had gotten so engrossed in the music that reality had left me. After brushing the tear with a faintly scented hankerchief, a smile appeared upon my face as HUM THIS SONG drifted into my speakers and I actually found myself doing just that, humming along.

Moments later, LAUGHTER AND TEARS filled the room along with the smoke from several nervous cigarettes and I drifted back into a metamorphic state With two parts of my personality emerging, first laughter, then tears. At this moment, I know that this is not just another album, but rather, an experience; one that I was thoroughly enjoying and the feeling was good!

By now, you have Just returned to your favorite listening position, as I have, from turning the album over, Quite possibly you have picked the album cover up and maybe glancing at my minute scribblings and while reading through the lines, you are saying to yourself, "How strange, I am reacting in the same manner." By this time WILDFLOWER has brought another tear to our eyes and the now dampened handkerchief moves it aside with a stroke of the hand.

I would like to share with you my emotional feelings on each of these masterpieces, but alas, time and space have just about run out. So as your ears hear and to our dismay the needle reached the last track, TIME FOR ME TO GO, you will react in either of two ways - (1) rush hack to your sound system and turn the album over for repeat performance or (2) do as I did, drop a few ice cubes in a glass, fill it with your favorite drink, light a cigarette and try to compose yourself for another experience.

For this is MARLENA, from the DEPTHS OF HER SOUL!

PEACE,
Hank Stewart, KPPC Radio, Pasadena, Ca




No comments:

Post a Comment