Search This Blog

BLP 4246

Ornette Coleman - The Empty Foxhole

Released - 1966

Recording and Session Information

Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, September 9, 1966
Ornette Coleman, alto sax, trumpet, violin; Charlie Haden, bass; Denardo Coleman, drums; Frank Wolff, producer.

1780 tk.1 The Empty Foxhole
1781 tk.2 Freeway Express
1782 tk.5 Zig Zag
1783 tk.8 Faithful
1784 tk.9 Sound Gravitations
1785 tk.12 Good Old Days

Session Photos




Photos: Francis Wolff

Track Listing

Side One
TitleAuthorRecording Date
Good Old DaysOrnette ColemanSeptember 9 1966
The Empty FoxholeOrnette ColemanSeptember 9 1966
Sound GravitationOrnette ColemanSeptember 9 1966
Side Two
Freeway ExpressOrnette ColemanSeptember 9 1966
FaithfulOrnette ColemanSeptember 9 1966
Zig ZagOrnette ColemanSeptember 9 1966

Liner Notes

WHEN Ornette Denardo Coleman became 6 years of age I called him to find out what he wanted for his birthday. He was in California and I was in New York on a gig. Well, our conversation went like this..." Hello Denny" ..."Hi Dad." 'What would you like to have for your birthday?" "Dad, you know I saw a gun on T. V. for kids called a cannon or something like that. I would like to have that." "Well, I don't know if I can find it here, I'll try. If I can't find it, how would you like a set of drums, in case I don't find the gun?" "Dad, you can forget about the gun, send the drums air mail express!"

It is now 4 years since then and we have made our first LP together. The record date took place 3 days before he left to go back to Los Angeles for school. We had rehearsals before the date took place, although we played out in California last year and I told him when I got back from Europe we would make a record. He was ready then, but I had made plans to tour Europe. So when I got back we started rehearsals. We hadn't decided who would play bass because I didn't want to use someone who would just fill a bass position, and my devoted trio men are inseparable. The one man who I knew that knows my music, as well as a love for playing, was Charlie Haden, who made the first trip to New York with me in my first public performance with my own band.

I would like to say here that Charlie and Denny play very good together, with me or without me. In fact, I found some very new things to play from listening to them play together. The one thing that moved me the most was the way each of us opened up to feelings of the music and going our own way, without getting in each others' way.

Young Master Ornette knew the music as if he had written it himself. This kind of cooperation is a leader's dream. Music will never fall short of an honest effort when it has love, talent and sincerity in its performance.

This LP has six compositions - two on trumpet, one on violin and three on alto saxophone. This is my first studio date in 4 years.

—ORNETTE COLEMAN

Produced by FRANCIS WOLFF
Cover Painting by ORNETTE COLEMAN
Cover Design by BOB FUENTES








No comments:

Post a Comment